Every day I have students come into my room who have weaknesses in various areas of their learning. After being part of a class about technology and needing to involve it more often I began to think "How might I do that?" Many of the students that I see daily have a big struggle with sight words. Many of those same students enjoy music. I found the perfect sort of movement opportunity that involves the word "the".
The word "The"
I would allow the kids to be up and moving. They would be required to say the letters and repeat the word in order to remember it better. I think the kids would love it and remember the word better.
Here is another example with a few more word choices.
Sight word rap
Even as I was watching the video I realized that these sort of songs really get stuck in your head.
Talk about catchy. I'm still singing "the." This is perfect for my struggling first and second graders. One hates everything, so maybe a little movement and song will motivate him. If anything he wont be able to get the lyrics out of his head. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed watching the clip you posted. I think kids in any grade level would enjoy learning about sight words and other vocabulary words in this format. If the word "the" were your sight word of the week, I think it would be fun to introduce it using the clip you suggested. As the week goes on, the video could be played again and again during the morning meeting, snack breaks, or even during gross motor breaks. Kids are amazing in how they can memorize song lyrics so easily. With exposure to these songs and video clips, they'll have their sight words memorized in no time!
ReplyDeleteIncorporating music into any subject area is extremely powerful. I love these songs that you could use with your kids. Something as simple as the "the song" can truly help a struggling student learn the sight word. What a powerful use of technology! Youtube is my go to sight for catchy fun songs that go along with whatever topic I am teaching!
ReplyDelete